Nutrition & Dietetics
The Nutrition & Dietetics Department serves the public through in-patient, out-patient and home-based services. It also provides advice and guidance to the community through health education initiatives and public information campaigns.
Additionally, the dietitian’s are part of multidisciplinary teams providing input to the management of patients with complex illnesses.
The department continues to provide the following services:
• 6 adult outpatient clinics weekly
• 1 drop-in weighing clinic weekly
• 2 outpatient paediatric clinics weekly (one of which is a feeding clinic in conjunction with the speech & language therapist)
• 4 outpatient paediatric diabetic clinics every 3 months (multidisciplinary)
• Weekly cardiac rehab (clinics and talks) as part of the cardiac rehab team
• Daily inpatient services (adults and paediatrics) to all wards
• Assessment of renal/dialysis patients
• Visits to KGV hospital to assess patients as and when required
• Monthly input to St Martin’s special school and St Bernadettes
• Monthly palliative care meeting (multidisciplinary)
• Home visits following health professional’s referral (including Elderly Care Agency, Lady Williams Centre, Dr Giraldi Home)
• Teaching sessions to a range of audiences (e.g. student nurses, lab, multidisciplinary) as an when required
• Public health nutrition – advice and workshops to schools and other organisations.
• Providing artificial nutritional support, which is an important part of patients’ treatment.