The Infection Prevention, Control & Immunisation Department comprises of two infection control nurses who offer a 24/7 on call service for advice to both GHA staff and public alike.
Main responsibilities are:
• Monitoring of healthcare acquired infections through audit and surveillance.
• Training and education of GHA personnel and other non-governmental agencies in infection prevention & control.
• Development of policies and protocols in Infection Prevention & Control, using evidence based practice guidelines.
• Outbreak management and contact tracing, for communicable disease control such as in cases of Norovirus, Swine Flu, TB etc..
• Providing advice and public health education on infection prevention issues such as hand hygiene and sexually transmitted infections.
• Liase with environmental agencies in some cases of food outbreaks or contact tracing.
• Offer Sexual Health screening and advice to public.
Professional responsibility lies with both the Director of Nursing Services and the Director of Public Health.