Diagnostic Imaging Services
The Radiology Department provides a comprehensive imaging service for patients from newborns to the very old.
The scope of general radiography services include A&E, GP, Out-patients, In-patients, Dental, Portables, Theatre, CT, General and Antenatal Ultrasound, Symptomatic Mammography and Breast Screening.
Two major projects were implemented in 2011:
- Upgrade to Radiology Information System/Picture Archiving and Communication System (RIS/PACS).
- The Gibraltar Breast Screening Service.
April 2011 saw the culmination of all the hard work by GHA Radiology and IT departments and Philips Medical Systems to enable the smooth migration of information and images to the upgraded Information and Picture Archiving Systems, called XIRIS/iSite PACS.
Xiris, the Radiology Information system:
• Allows access at remote locations. Provides secure login accounts to users from anywhere, anytime, worldwide.
• Allows for electronic requesting, bookings etc.
• Incorporates a voice recognition dictation system.
• Allows integration with a Unique Patient Identifier System.
• Incorporates a mammography workflow package for the efficient running of the Breast Screening Service.
iSite PACS (Image Archiving System):
• Allows X-ray images to be viewed within 3 seconds, with no retrieval needed.
• Has a time-line function showing the reporting status of all X-rays.
• Allows management to check the completeness of all investigations.
The response of both doctors and patients has been very positive, with reports and images being available to doctors with 24-48 hours of the examination having been completed. The doctor gets an email alert once the report is done.